16 October 2007

Cyclocross at Ix 2007 - My first CX race of the season


My first cyclocross race of the season; Cyclocross at Ix 2007. I digged deep, but my front tire dug.

I am not looking at a very full cyclocross season this year. This is mostly due to race dates on Saturdays (a day I am usually working) and a lack of desire to travel far and wide this year. So, my season goal is to have fun, race what I can, and try some new things.

Cyclocross at Ix 2007 gave me a chance to try three new things. One that went wrong, one that just didn't go so well, and one that went great.

My front tire 'dug' was what went wrong. I was trying (completely through authorized experimentation) Stan's No Tubes on my front wheel. The Stan's had held well enough in trials and practice and seemed ready for racing... until about a quarter into the first lap. The tire 'burped' and lost significant air. I kept pushing despite the air loss. It didn't seem too bad. Yup. While digging into a 180 corner (on a small section of concrete pad) at the bottom of a descent and before an ascent, my front tubeless tire dug deeper with enough lateral pressure to pull it off the bead. - Mental note: no more Stan's for my road rim w/ low air pressure cx tires.

Quickly rebounding back up, I shouldered the bike and took off running for the pits, only one third into the first lap. Fortunately, the layout of the course allowed cutting the course to reach the pits but returning to exact point of leaving the course. Grabbing my spare front wheel and briefly explaining to a curious young boy (who had raced earlier) what my birthmark was rather than road rash, I ran back to the my crash site and dug deep to finish the race. Somehow I even reeled in at least one other rider.

Experiment two: I'm returning to moto style brake set-up. I'm just too used to moto and had difficulty braking into barriers and steep, off camber 180 descents. So, back to moto.

Experiment three: I'm really glad I went to a 27 tooth cog.

Thanks to all those unknow spectators who encouraged and cheered me on! I was a tough but fun course. Not to mention a 5' wide by 10' long by 10" deep sand pit. Props to Blue Wheel Bicycles and all those who participated in running the events of the day for a great day of cyclocross racing.

No comments: