30 October 2007

Rowdy Dawg 2007


It's been a few years since I raced the Rowdy Dawg. The Rowdy Dawg roots go back a ways with me to my college mountain bike racing days. 2007 was the year, though, perhaps due to my new Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, to dust off my memories and bark out some new ones.

What was I thinking!? What was the course layout thinking?!... oh yeah.. epic. 30 miles for the Expert course and with only two laps up to the Fire Circle. None the less. Fresh with only one Cyclocross race under my belt (yes, the time of year I should be focusing on short, hard and fast efforts) I went for the expert course. My goal; to finish... in about four hours or less. That's about an 8 mph average. More than doable for me but would I last the duration?

With 74 other finishers, I did last the duration. In fact, I met my goal. 3 hours 55 minutes. Fourth Place in Men's Pro/Expert.... of four riders. It hurt.. a lot, and there was even plenty of conservative bike pushing for me. I was mainly worried about being able to complete the course and riding smart enough to last. It must have been fun, though. Several folks commented that despite my tired appearance, I looked happy :-) As a side note: the first place Chris Pohowski finished just shy of one hour before me and was quickly followed by second place Mike Coco on his single speed. Third place Derick Dotson had a more palatable 21 minutes on me.

Four hours of fun, fourth and last place, and I still walked away with Rowdy Dawg socks, a pint glass, tire levers, and second pair of socks with flowers and skulls.

Topping off the whole enchilada of my return to racing Rowdy Dawg... during a post race meal at the Cellar, I found Corvette Pinball. I rallied my senses enough to get in two games. The second of which ended with 110 Hundred Thousand plus points. Sounds pinballaliciousness! But not really. High scores were well over 100 Million points. Still, nothing like a good game of pinball.

Apparantly, it was pretty entertaining to watch me play. Too bad no cameras were available, but I least, thanks to the wonderous interweb, I was able to quickly find these pics of a similar but apparantly recently restored and available for purchase Corvette Pinball.

Looking forward to next June for the 2nd Dirty Dawg at Mountain Lake. Do I hear a Shenandoah 100 whispering to me?

No comments: