10 June 2008

Winning the Lottery

Sometimes you win the lottery... but you just didn't know you were playing or what the prize was. Well, it's a pretty cool prize, but there goes my chances for the powerball.

So, a friend of mine really likes vintage travel mugs. You know. The first ones before they were all fancy and fit in cup holders? Yes sir'ee. These travel mugs were ceramic with a narrow top and wide bottom with something of a gripper on the bottom to keep it from zooming across your dash board. Well, these champions of travel were replaced by fancy steel and plastic lined 'thermal' cups that fit in car cup holders. Now a-day's, champions of the far superior vintage travel mugs are relegated to finding replacements in thrift shops and the like.

So, I keep these vintage mugs on my mental shopping list whenever I find myself in such a cornucopia of left behind and hidden treasure.

Here comes the lottery winning.

On such a recent occasion, not only did I find a vintage travel mug in good condition (see above pic), but I also found this rare gem. Yes. Neither my friend nor I knew such a travel mug existed in all it's glory. Not just a vintage travel mug, but a vintage travel mug fired from classic Japanese chinaware complete with beautiful representation of the strength and beauty of the American Eagle.

This makes Bob Ross look like a stick figure artist! Perhaps the only thing that comes close is a certain 'pocket' knife emortalized with a winged 'buckskin bambie.' Now that was truly a knife that almost brought a grown man to tears. But this mug... this vintage travel mug... this vintage travel mug of Japanese chinaware embellished with the enormous power of the classic American Eagle?!

Well.. I won't be winning the lottery any time soon, and a certain top tier adventure woman will now be amping it up with the power of a rare beauty!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no words. I am simply verklempt. (OK so those are words but I do not have a medium with which to convey my lack of words secondary to verklemptedness) A wealthy woman I am. ;)

Anonymous said...

lucky true but blessed indeed