22 September 2008

Last day of Summer and First day of Autumn

How quickly the time goes by.

Sunday was the last day of Summer. I spent it in true lazy summer day fashion... doing much of nothing, but different than the day before. no really, i did much of nothing including sleeping in and later taking a nap.

Monday (a day off for me) just happened to coincide w/ the first day of Fall. I started welcoming the new season by 'falling' back to sleep after the alarm clock went off. Aside from the usual Monday errands, i squeezed in a welcome mountain bike ride.

It's been a long while since riding at the 'cove.' Initial plan was a lazy ride on the lowers, maybe an hour or so. Must have been feeling good with the first day of autumn. two and a half hours after starting, I had covered just shy of 25 miles and finally got to see the carvins cove bears.

yup. after more than a year of hearing about others seeing bears at the cove, I finally got to see them myself. it's funny, i have a long history of spending time in the woods and up until now, have only seen one bear in the wild. Today, I got a double sighting. Just after the four way intersection and heading down lower comet, i saw something moving off to my right and then something smaller to my left. Then the the object to the right stood up. No mistaking that blackish brown fur with a chocolate snout staring me in the eyes from a short distance. Meanwhile, the smaller object on my left had hidden behind a tree and was lowering itself towards the ground while spying me as best it could. Calmly, drifting between the two as i soft pedaled along the trail, i checked the surrounding area to make sure there weren't any others I needed to give berth. With one last look over my shoulder, I bid them a silent goodbye and wished them well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Stranger, guess who lives back in Virginia! We're in Richmond. Drop me a line sometime.

mundy@mundyhackett.com
804-349-6501

cheers