28 February 2006

2 liter pontoon boat and first bicycle trip

So last week while riding to work, I couldn't help but see a bunch of 2 liter bottles (it was recycle day... not trash in the streets). The bottles jogged memory from way back. I was part of the creation of a small boat whose pontoons consisted of 2 liter bottles. One bottle encircled on the sides by more bottles (sides touching) with a pontoon length of about 5 feet.

Yes, the boat worked. It handled slow in the steering, but it worked.

So, anyway, the leader of this boat creation crew was also responsible for my first bicycle trip. From somewhere just South of Omaha, NE, we journyed to Platte River State Park and back. I remember having a buffalo burger and being towed part of the way back via a bike lock cable. My steed... my first 'road' bike, purchased from a hardware store. I remember it was blue and heavy. I also remember riding to work a few times or more. That was 1990 or so. I was in high school and worked at Hy-Vee grocery.

No comments: