13 February 2006

The need for the ride...

It was a long week.

I thought a lot about riding. The temperature kept dropping and then the snow.

Sunday arrives. I wake up. I wake up again. My bicycles look longingly from their corner.

I listen to "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" and some "Car Talk" while eating breakfast. Sipping coffee, I see the wheels sticking out from around the corner.

Finally, the big fluffy snowflakes are swirling outside, and I can't take it anymore. I find myself topping off tyre pressure with the floor pump.

It's cold, but I'm staying warm. Spinning along. People in cars look at me funny. Yeah, I guess the ear muffs don't really match. The snow picks up, more of the big fluffy flakes. I'm glad I brought my lights as I wipe the snow off my legs and glasses.

I keep riding. I'm not alone in my persuit to relax. Two guys are fly fishing in the Roanoke River. Snow swirling in the air around me; water swirling in the river around them.

The snow lets up. The sun comes out... somewhat. I'm feeling good, even if it is the tailwind.

I make it back home. Two hours have passed... a good two hours.

Time for a hot shower, eat, and clean my bicycle.

Somehow, the week no longer seems as long as it was.

I'm tired, but refreshed. I needed that ride. It had been too long without.

No comments: